31 March 2009

Wayne's FA Cup dream

Wayne Rooney has revealed that he wants to fulfil his boyhood dream and add the FA Cup to his Old Trafford trophy collection.

United take on Everton in the semi-finals at Wembley on Sunday 19 April, with Chelsea and Arsenal fighting it out in the other last four tie the day before.

Rooney was on the losing side in extra time of the final last season against Chelsea, and also tasted defeat against Arsenal on penalties in 2005.

Those experiences merely mean Rooney will redouble his efforts to win the trophy this term.

“I’m desperate to win the FA Cup,” Wayne told Inside United.

“If I’m honest, it’s the trophy I wanted to win the most when I was younger. Like most kids, I grew up dreaming of scoring the winner in a cup final at Wembley.

“Also, as an Everton fan I wasn’t under any illusions that we were good enough to win the league, so the cup competitions were much more realistic.

“The FA Cup has such a big history, and that’s stuck with me all these years. I’ve played in two finals with United and lost them both and that’s a horrible feeling. I really want to win it this season. That would be a dream come true.”

The 23 year-old will hopefully prove to be a pivotal figure for the Reds this season - and, Rooney hopes, for many more years to come.

“I hope I’m still at United when I’m the same age as guys like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville," he added.

"I’ve always said that as as long as Unietd want me, I’m happy to stay at the club. I don’t want to leave. I love United and I have no reason to think about moving. I’m sure I’ll be here for a long time."

WAYNE ROONEY PROFILE

Birthdate: 24 Oct 1985

Birthplace:
Croxteth, Liverpool

Position:
Striker

Joined United:
31 Aug 2004

Joined From: Everton

Transfer Fee:
£30million

United Debut: 28 Sep 2004 v Fenerbahce (H)

International:
England

Height: 176cm

Weight:
82.7kg

Boyhood Heroes:
Duncan Ferguson, Diego Maradona

Favourite Food:
Spaghetti Bolognese

Favourite Music: Stereophonics

Other Interests/Sports: Walking his dogs